We are committed to training graduate students in science and risk communication. We also provide opportunities and training to students who have an interest in sharing their knowledge and experience with K-12 students, teachers, and diverse communities.
Environmental Health Sciences Trainee Colloquium - This is a monthly seminar series that allows the OSU SRP Trainees and other scientists to share their research to the OSU and PNNL communities.
Seminar: Communicating Science and Risk Beyond Academia
In the Fall of 2013, 44 graduate students completed the seminar.
- Describe risk perception
- Examine and explain the risk /hazard equation
- Communicate research impact in plain language and in a meaningful way
- Tailor message to specific audiences
- Share best practices for writing for the web and selected social media
- Discuss ways that blogs and twitter are useful for scientists and grad students
Read Story about the seminar - Scientists-in-training learn to effectively communicate research to the public
Related blog posts
In the Winter of 2011, we assisted with a seminar:
Preparing Effective Outreach Modules for Middle School Students
Students got into groups of three and practiced sharing about their research in plain language.